Tibor de Nagy Gallery is among the earliest modern art galleries in New York. Today it has a vital contemporary program and a focus on the Post War second generation New York School. The gallery is owned and directed by Andrew Arnot. They have established a primary contemporary program and an active secondary market.
The gallery has curated and presented many significant exhibitions over the last several years. They include “Painters & Poets,” which presented an historical survey of the gallery’s history upon its 65th Anniversary. The book that accompanied the exhibition is assigned at colleges and used by academics. A retrospective exhibition of the West coast collage artist and painter, Jess was presented including key pieces from the Estate and museum collections, along with an accompanying catalogue.
Tibor de Nagy and John Myers started the gallery in 1950. It gained attention for discovering then young emerging artists including Carl Andre, Helen Frankenthaler, Red Grooms, Larry Rivers, Jane Freilicher, and Fairfield Porter. The gallery was a salon for artists and poets starting in the 1950s. It published volumes of poetry by New York School poets John Ashbery, Kenneth Koch, and Frank O’Hara. It continues to publish books under its Tibor de Nagy Editions imprint.